Sunday, November 02, 2008

Nov Post

Yes, October has passed without a post...

My belated excuse is that I was, and am, working on a 17,000 word module on narrative writing for The Ministry. After that deluge, one can, perhaps, be excused for not having the inclination to write anymore.

Still, it is November, and I must write something.

Actually I was intending to cut and paste an article by Benjamin Franklin, 'The Morals of Chess'. Since that venerable Founding Father is long dead, I do not think he can mind. I have changed my mind but I hope interested parties will read his article (freely available without his permission through Google). Learn more about the wonders of CHESS.

This month, the Leonid meteor shower is going to drench our skies! I still remember the night before my A Levels 10 years ago (oh yes, I am getting old, very old), right before my Astrophysics exam. I was out there in the wee hours of the morning (forgive the cliche)., looking at shooting stars.

The shower featured in York too, about a year after that.

Since then, I have not seen shooting stars. But I hope to catch one next week.

As some readers might have noticed, this is indeed a random rambling, though ironically it is no doubt more comprehensible than my obsessively planned and structured Normal posts. Much hair has fallen around the area of my computer. One who wishes to be comprehended by everyone, should seek not to. Lamely profound quote of the week.

Why has God created such a big universe? Oh yes, God exists. So since he exists...and since the universe is somehow created or manifested by him, and since it is so big, He obviously needs a lot of space to execute his grand schemes, whatever they are. Yet human beings are so, so physically small. The crown of creation being an iota of dust. Or perhaps we flatter ourselves, we aren't the crown of creation. When we are indeed crowned, we will be kings of infinite space? Or Queens? Or bishops? or rooks or knights? Or both king and pawn at once. Servant-leadership.

Ok, the clock is running. Time is running out (if time actually exists). I need to go back to saner pursuits.

am I mad, or is most of the world insane? Naturally, I prefer the latter.

Rgds.

1 comment:

benjy said...

Hullo Mr Quek.

Didn't know you were keen in Astrophysics. =D Enjoy the meteor shower!

On another note, I believe that the universe is so large, so that we can see that God is still bigger.

And yes, I did create a blog, do feel free to visit and tag. xD